If you had asked me what I would miss the most when I first started out on Paleo I would have said pasta. Throughout my teenage years and early twenties I was a vegetarian and pasta was without a doubt the mainstay of my diet. Even when I started eating meat again it would still be my go to comfort food and I could eat loads of it. With hindsight I never felt that great after eating it but at the time it was just heaven in a bowl for me.
For me there is no better combination than eggs and avocado. I just love it. So when I was developing this recipe it seemed like the obvious combination. I went through a few options as to how the egg could be incorporated and as much as I love a runny yolk I thought that a hard boiled egg combined into the pasta would work perfectly; I was right. To get the perfect consistency for mixing I grated the eggs and find that this worked much better than chopping.
The avocado sauce is really versatile and can be used for lots of other recipes. I have used it as a dressing on salads, as a dip for stuffed sweet potato (recipe coming to the blog soon!) and as a sauce with salmon. All of which were delicious. If you like to have easy snacks on standby then I would recommend having some of the sauce in the fridge to use with crudites or Paleo crackers. A nutritious snack with hardly any effort.
As I found this sauce to be so handy to have in the fridge I specifically created the recipe so that there will be some sauce leftover to use another day. If you just want to have enough for the recipe then you just need to half the quantities provided but it would be a shame not to have some leftovers as it is that delicious.
I like to have this recipe cold but you can cook the courgetti and heat the sauce if you wish. Having it cold means that it is perfect for taking to work for lunch as you don’t have to worry about reheating and can just eat as you would any pasta salad; however this version will not send you to sleep afterwards!
Avocado and Egg Courgetti
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time 8 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
4 courgettes, spiralized
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1 lemon, juice only
1 lime, juice only
Flaked sea salt
75ml walnut oil
- Blitz the avocado, garlic, coriander and citrus juice in a blender until combined.
- Slowly pour in the walnut oil whilst blending until it starts to form a smooth sauce.
- Add the water and mix again then season to taste.
- Add more water or walnut oil to achieve a thinner consistency if you wish.
- Place the sauce on one side and prepare the eggs.
- To hard boil the eggs bring a pan of water to a rolling boil on a medium to high heat.
- Add the eggs and cook for 8 minutes. The water should be boiling quite fast.
- Once cooked place into a bowl of ice cold water and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- When the eggs have cooled, remove the shells and grate.
- Place the courgetti into a mixing bowl; add the sauce and half the egg and combine.
- Serve into two bowls and top with the remaining egg.
Enjoy our blogs?
If you like what we do then you can sign up to follow our blog and receive updates on all of our recipes and articles.
Have you Discovered 12 Weeks to Change Your Life?
Sign up to receive our FREE eBook with information on how the Paleo diet can help you to lose weight PLUS sample recipes…