When the weather gets warmer it is good to have some quick and easy salad recipes that you can throw together with minimal ingredients. If you have the barbecue out then this recipe for prawn and avocado salad is perfect; the prawns take just a few minutes to cook and will get that lovely smoky flavour. You can also cook in a frying pan and they will taste delicious.
I like to add the spice rub before cooking. You just need to add to the raw prawns and make sure that they are all coated; add a little at a time so that you can coat to your liking. If you are cooking on the barbecue then I would suggest using larger prawns with the tail still attached as they are easier to turn. You can either buy the prawns already peeled or with the shell on and peel yourself. Remember you can also buy prawns frozen and they tend to be a lot cheaper. You will obviously just need to leave out the night before to defrost.
If you read my blog regularly you will know that one of the things that I hate is a bad salad. There is just no need for it; with just a little bit of thought you can create some beautiful flavours without any limp lettuce in sight. If you would like to learn a few tips and tricks on making the perfect salad then take a look at my post How to Make the Perfect Paleo Salad and Dressing.
Prawn and Avocado Salad…
For this prawn and avocado salad recipe I have kept it simple with the addition of rocket, pepper and avocado alongside a creamy lemon dressing. This keeps things refreshing and simple without muddling the flavours with unneeded ingredients being added. The juicy prawns are going to be the star of the show and the remaining ingredients all compliment the meaty texture perfectly.
The great thing about this prawn and avocado salad is that it is so quick and easy to prepare. You can pull it together in no time at all leaving you more time to spend outside in the garden with family and friends. It is so quick to make you will even have time to make some homemade Paleo ice cream for dessert.
PIN THE RECIPE FOR LATER:
Servings: 2 people
- 200g (10 oz) prawns, raw
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 100g (5 oz) rocket
- For the spice rub:
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaf
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp butter/clarified butter
- For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp homemade Paleo mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Sea salt
- Place the avocado and pepper into a bowl with the rocket. Set on one side.
- Mix the spice rub together and then gently rub onto the raw prawns until coated.
- Heat the butter (or your fat of choice) in a frying pan or skillet over a high heat. Add the prawns and cook through; usually 2-3 minutes.
- Add the prawns to the bowl with the salad ingredients.
- To make the dressing place all of the ingredients into a small container with a lid and shake well to combine.
- Add the dressing to the salad when serving. You can either add a couple of tbsp and mix through or just drizzle over the top.
Enjoy our blog?
If you like what we do then make sure you sign up to follow our blog and receive updates on our latest recipes and articles. PLUS you will get a FREE 40 page eBook on the Paleo diet, with tips on getting started and sample recipes.