We have been looking at gut health this week and the importance of healing and maintaining your digestive system for optimal health. Many of the foods that we avoid on a Paleo diet are eliminated because of their ravaging effects on our bodies; most of which directly relate to gut health. A clean diet, full of healthy fats and proteins is a must for healing your gut and maintaining this important system. Breakfast is a minefield for eating all the wrong foods; grains, sugars and dairy are most people’s go to foods in the morning. This delicious dish is quick to prepare and great to eat. Not only will it set you up for the day, but the healthy fats, proteins and antioxidants will provide everything your insides need to stay healthy.
Heating brings out the best in many ingredients and avocado is no exception. Pan fried until golden, the flesh becomes even softer and the flavour reaches new depth. Poached eggs are always a winner, and not at all difficult if you don’t panic; creamy runny yolk always make the world seem a better place. As well as the sweet acidity of tomatoes to round out the dish, I have added my secret weapon of crisp smoked salmon flakes. Fried until golden, smoked salmon takes on the aura of bacon and acts as an extra seasoning that elevates the eating experience into something special.
My tips for poaching eggs…
I know that poaching eggs can be tricky so my suggestion is to get a large pan of boiling water and add some cider vinegar. Once the water is boiling steadily you then remove the pan from the heat. Slip each egg into the water and gently move it about so the white surrounds the yolk. If you break the egg into a cup first it makes it easier to slip the egg down the side of the pan. You then cover and leave the eggs in the pan for about 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking. All you need to do then is serve and enjoy.
Poached eggs with pan seared tomatoes and avocado
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
4 large fresh free range eggs
2 ripe avocados, cut into wedges
4 ripe tomatoes, halved
25g smoked salmon, chopped into small pieces
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp beef dripping, lard or coconut oil
Pinch of paprika
1. Set a large pan of water on to boil.
2. Heat a little of the fat in a small frying pan and cook the salmon over a high heat.
3. The salmon needs to be golden and crisp. It will seem to dry out; that’s the point.
4. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside.
5. When the water is boiling, add the vinegar and cover with a lid and leave to boil.
6. Heat the remaining fat in a large frying pan and cook the tomatoes for 4 minutes each side.
7. When the tomatoes are nearly cooked you can start poaching the eggs (see tips above).
8. Place the eggs into the boiling water and remove from the heat.
9. Cover the eggs and leave the pan on one side for 3 minutes.
10. You are looking for the white to set but for the yolk to be warm and runny.
11. Whilst the eggs cook, add the avocado wedges to the hottest part of the pan.
12. Cook for 1 minute on each side until golden all over; the less fat in the pan, the better.
13. Arrange the cooked avocado and tomato on plates and season generously with salt.
14. Lift the eggs carefully from the water, allowing them to drain a little before laying on top.
15. Sprinkle with a shake of paprika and the crispy salmon and serve hot.
Have you discovered 12 Weeks to Change Your Life?
Sign up to receive our FREE eBook with information on how the Paleo diet can help you to lose weight PLUS sample recipes…